1883-1885

1883-1885
On May 12, 1883, the lot at the corner of 19th and Crocker was purchased by the Methodist Episcopal for a “New Church Enterprise”!
Read more

1885-1900

1885-1900
Again, without any financial backing from the Methodist Episcopal Conference, the pastor and congregation stepped out in faith to build a permanent home.
Read more

1894-1902

1894-1902
In 1894, it was decided that Grace Church needed a new and larger church. Under Rev. Lewis Thurber Guild the church became a center for civic and religious gatherings.
Read more

1902-1909

1902-1909
The small wooden church was torn down in the summer of 1901 to make room for the construction of a new brick building. The church was finished at a cost of $30,000.
Read more

1910-1913

1910-1913
As growth continued it became necessary to utilize every bit of space. Two small second story additions were made and the lower level was remodeled in 1910 to provide a total of 16 large Sunday school rooms.
Read more

1917-1927

1917-1927
“Church wrecked by fire”
Read more

1927-1928

1927-1928
Sister Aimee comes to town.
Read more

1928

1928
Foursquare purchases church for “Lighthouse” congregation.
Read more

1928-1932

1928-1932
Foursquare experiences explosive growth, and establishes Bible School.
Read more

1931

1931
Ties to Foursquare become strained. Church at 19th and Crocker makes plans to break away.
Read more

1932-1939

1932-1939
On August 30, 1932 The Open Bible Evangelistic Association was formed.
Read more

1936

1936
In 1936, the Jesus Saves Cross was mounted on top of First Church of the Open Bible.
Read more

1937-1967

1937-1967
Due to the need for extra classroom space, the second level of the drug store across the street from the church was used for Sunday school and offices for 30 years.
Read more

1938

1938
Open Bible Institute is built to accommodate growing number of Bible School students.
Read more

1945

1945
In 1945, Rev. Frank Smith was the sponsoring pastor for a Billy Graham crusade in Des Moines.
Read more

1938-1946

1938-1946
The Open Bible continues to expand and acquire new properties, eventually moving the international headquarters to 851 19th Street.
Read more

1948

1948
In 1948, Oral Roberts preached in Des Moines to a gathering of over 4,000 ministers.
Read more

1950

1950
A 15 x 48 addition was built on the north side of the church in 1950 to accommodate a baptismal, conference room, class room and a new smaller sanctuary known as the Little Chapel.
Read more

1938-1962

1938-1962
For 24 years, Open Bible Institute was located at 850 19th Street before moving to new facilities in 1962.
Read more

1965-1966

1965-1966
The Open Bible campus was growing and space for expansion seemed limited. So, in 1966 new ground was purchased and construction began for new facilities.
Read more

1967

1967
In 1967, a small church on the east side of Des Moines called Echoes of Calvary moved to 19th and Crocker.
Read more

1968-1979

1968-1979
Shortly after settling in at their new home, Kingsway Bible School and Kingsway International were established.
Read more

1976

1976
In 1976, city officials state that the church building at 19th and Crocker played a significant role in the nomination of Sherman Hill to then National Register of Historic Places.
Read more

1979

1979
In 1979, Pastor Frank Smith Retired.
Read more

1986

1986
Kingsway continued to grow, picking up where its predecessors left off.
Read more

1997

1997
In 1997, Mr. Open Bible passed away after a long and productive life.
Read more

1998-2009

1998-2009
In 1998, KLM International is established. For the next 11 years, Rev. Kenney and Neja Linhart travel to over 30 nations, and witness the power of God produce over 1 million salvations, and thousands of healings, miracles, signs, and wonders.
Read more

2001

2001
In 2001, Pastor David Brown was selected by D.L. Browning and Bishop William Jenkins to lead the congregation into the new millennium with an active membership of over 300 and debt free.
Read more

2003

2003
In 2003, construction work on Martin Luther Jr. Parkway and I-235 necessitated explosives for demolition of the bridges near the church. These dynamite explosions caused some cracking in the plaster, creating fear that the structure had been compromised.
Read more

2003-2009

2003-2009
The church continues to sit empty and deteriorate. Meanwhile, the church loses all lawsuits pending against the city and demolition crews.
Read more

2009

2009
In 2009, the doors were literally forced open. Pastor Kenney Linhart took his first tour of the church. Past the debris, growing mushrooms, animal remains and an awful stench – the presence of God was still tangible in this amazing building.
Read more

2010

2010
On Easter 2010, the church on 19th and Crocker re-opened for services.
Read more

2016

2016
In the Fall 2016, the Jesus Saves cross returns to KLM International campus with plans for it to be prominently displayed on property once again.
Read more

2010-2017

2010-2017
Seven years of intense, grueling restoration. And now, 80% of this gem in the middle of Des Moines is finished. In addition, many pieces to the historic Bible campus have been re-added to the property.
Read more
Flag